Healthy Breakfast Ideas, Breakfast Choices to Avoid, and How They Affect Your Smile
It’s no secret that a healthy breakfast can make for a healthier body. The John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health says that a healthy breakfast provides you with the energy and nutrients that lead to increased concentration and a healthier body weight. A nutritious breakfast can also decrease the likelihood of a mid-morning slump. Evidence shows that healthy breakfast choices can lead to improved dental health too! Here are some tips, foods to avoid and healthy breakfast ideas to help support your body’s overall health and give you a healthier smile too!
Don’t Damage Your Smile with Popular Breakfast Choices
You wouldn’t eat candy for breakfast, right? Popular breakfast cereals and pastries are often full of sugar. If you’re eating these regularly, then you actually are basically eating candy for breakfast. If you’re not brushing and flossing right after breakfast, then these sugary breakfast choices are damaging your teeth and gums throughout the day.
A Healthy Breakfast Can Make for a Healthier Smile
Your body needs a balanced breakfast. And your teeth do too. A breakfast rich in nutrients that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fiber, and healthy proteins can have some surprising benefits. It can help to prevent bad breath, gum disease, tooth loss and tooth decay. Not sure what you should be eating? Here are some tips:
Tips For A Healthier Breakfast and Healthier Smile
- Whole Grains Not Refined Grains – Steel cut oatmeal and whole wheat bread are great choices. The less processed the grains…the better.
- Eat Firm, Ripe Fruits and Vegetables – Put down the Pop Tart. Pick up a piece of fruit!
- Drink Water or Unsweetened Tea – They’ll strengthen tooth enamel and they’ll help to prevent tooth decay.
- Drink Fruit Juices and Smoothies In Moderation! Typically they are high in sugar and acid. Be Careful!
- Have Lunch or Dinner for Breakfast – Health professionals often suggest eating healthy lunch and dinner choices – like fish, beans, and chicken – for breakfast. Give it a try!
- Eat High Fiber Cereals – Choose cereal high in fiber and/or loaded with whole grains. Avoid cereals that are heavily processed, high in preservatives, or have added sugars.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas For A Healthier Smile
Here’s a Gluten-Free Buckwheat Banana Pancake Recipe from PowersHealth.com that’s high in protein and fiber that you can have for breakfast and even snack on in-between meals. If you’re into tofu, there’s a recipe for a Tofu Breakfast Scrambler there too.
Here are 13 healthy whole grain breakfast recipes from Delish.com that include tasty items like Banana-Bran Muffins, Crunchy Granola Wedges, Creamy Wheat Berry Hot Cereal, Apricot-Walnut Cereal Bars and a bunch more.
Here are 27 ideas for a healthier breakfast from Reader’s Digest that touch on a bunch of great ideas if you’re looking for more inspiration.
Start eating breakfasts that protect your smile AND make you feel good (studies have found that breakfast affects your energy and focus). Hopefully these healthy breakfast ideas will be a great starting point for you on your journey to a healthier breakfast and a healthier smile. If you have ideas or recipes for healthy, balanced breakfasts, share them with us in the comments below or on Facebook!
If you found this post helpful, be sure to share it with a friend!
Thank you for trusting us with your oral health! We appreciate you.