Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
Dental implants can be made from titanium or zirconium (white) and solid porcelain teeth or plastic teeth can be placed on top of implants to restore the smile of patients.
Not to mention patients can eat the foods they love again, they can kiss, smile and talk just like they did in their 20’s.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
- Improved appearance – Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech – With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating – Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health – Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability – Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience – Removable dentures are just that – removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
How Successful Are Dental Implants?
Success rates of dental implants vary, depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed but, in general, dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%. With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
There is one big question everyone asks: “Is the procedure painful”? Many times the implants can be placed the same day that the broken or infected teeth are extracted making the area no more discomforting then it would be from the extractions.
Some patients were told they do not have enough bone or that they can’t get dental implants. This was the case for many decades, but now with advanced bone grafting techniques, dental implants are a possibility for so many more patients.
Sometimes dentists can even retrofit existing dentures if the patient is happy with the aesthetics of the denture. This saves the patient time and money.
Does going to the dentist make you nervous? Many dentists now offer aromatherapy, laughing gas, and earphones to make your time as stress free as possible.
Ready To Make An Appointment?