Our experienced dentists can provide holistic periodontal treatments to fight gum disease and improve your oral health. Your gum disease treatment will be designed to meet your exact needs and address the underlying issues that may be causing or contributing to your condition. Call Calvert Smiles at 410-257-7200 to make an appointment with Dr. Gena Schultheis and associates and learn more about holistic gum disease treatment in Dunkirk, Maryland.
Periodontal disease is caused by a buildup of bacteria which inflame and infect your teeth. If left untreated, the disease can progress to a point where it causes damage to your teeth, gums and supporting bone structure and may eventually result in tooth loss and gum recession. Common symptoms of gum disease include:
- Easy bleeding of the gums
- Pain when chewing
- Tooth sensitivity
- Redness, swelling, pus or other signs of infection
- Persistent bad breath
- Changes in your bite
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession
Our dentists can use holistic methods to get the infection under control and promote healing and regeneration of healthy gum tissue. We also address underlying dietary or other health issues that may contribute to your condition to give you the best possible results.
There are several steps involved in our holistic periodontal treatments, and a number of treatments which we may recommend. These include:
- A comprehensive exam and consultation – this will include a complete oral exam and a review of your dental and medical history.
- Saliva and oral DNA testing – this will help us measure and identify the species of bacteria most prevalent in your gum disease so that we can design a treatment plan.
- The relation of your overall health to gum disease – gum disease contributes to or exacerbates several medical conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer. We may coordinate with your physician regarding systemic conditions or recommend a dietary or supplement program to assist in controlling gum disease.
- Ultrasonic scaling to remove hard deposits of plaque and eliminate disease-causing bacteria.
- Laser treatment to eliminate any remaining bacteria, remove diseased tissue and stimulate your natural healing capabilities.
- Periodyne® natural oils – this is a supplemental treatment to reduce inflammation and bleeding of the gums and aid in the healing process.
- Oral probiotics – to promote the growth of healthy bacteria.
- Patient education and nutritional recommendations
- Flap surgery – a type of gum surgery to remove bacteria lodged very deep under the gumline. This is typically recommended when more conservative treatments cannot fully manage the disease.
- Gum and bone grafting – if gum and bone tissue deteriorate is a result of gum disease, we can perform gum and bone grafting to restore the lost tissue.
For more information about periodontal disease and our holistic treatments and to make an appointment with our dentists, please contact our office today.