Dental implants are the ideal replacement for your missing teeth. They are designed to function and feel like your original teeth and can last for a lifetime when cared for properly with good oral hygiene and regular visits to our dentists and team. We welcome you to contact Calvert Smiles at 410-257-7200 to find out more about the benefits of implant dentistry in Dunkirk, Maryland, and schedule your consultation with Dr. Gena Schultheis and associates.
Dental implants consist of an artificial post inserted into the jawbone in place of the tooth root. This post is made of biocompatible material such as titanium or an extremely strong porcelain ceramic known as zirconium. This implant post forms the foundation of your prosthetic tooth, and is capped by an abutment, or connecting piece, and an implant restoration. Your implant restoration may be a single crown, a bridge, or a complete or partial denture.
There are many unique benefits to dental implants that make them an excellent option for replacing missing teeth, including:
- A replacement that looks, feels and functions like your original teeth.
- Implant-supported crowns have the same chewing power as your natural teeth.
- Dental implants do not require reducing other teeth, helping to keep your remaining natural teeth intact and promoting your long-term oral health.
- Implants help your remaining teeth remain in a stable position and prevent them from shifting out of place.
- The dental implant post performs the same function as your tooth root, stimulating supporting bone tissue to help keep your jaw healthy and strong.
- Implant-supported dentures are highly stable and remain in place without the need for adhesives.
- Implants can last a lifetime with proper oral hygiene care.
Anyone who has lost one or more teeth is a candidate for implant dentistry, though if you have a pre-existing condition such as tooth decay or gum disease you will need to receive treatment for that condition prior to receiving an implant.
Our dentists will evaluate your mouth to determine if implants are the right option for you. We will work with you throughout your treatment process to ensure that your implant placement is as precise and minimally invasive as possible, and that each aspect of your treatment is tailored to your individual needs.
If you have any questions about implant dentistry or to schedule a consultation with our dentists please contact our office today.